Why Academy of Health Sciences at Hawthorne? / Why Military, Global Leadership and Public Safety Academy at Hawthorne?
The Health Sciences Academy has a program focused in the medical sciences curriculum. Academy students may pursue goals of post-secondary education at colleges, universities, or the community college (CPCC). Our students receive a solid foundation in the core subjects with health sciences integration. Scholars are further prepared academically in a rigorous medical health sciences course of study through Project Lead the Way. By partnering with the National Academy Foundation (NAF) and North Carolina New Schools (NCNS), the scholars at Hawthorne Academy of Health Sciences will have career and work-based experiences to make them career and college ready upon graduation.
The Military, Global Leadership and Public Safety Academy develops young leaders who are knowledgeable about their contributions to the global community through building and maintaining positive trusting relationships and service learning. In addition to JROTC, rising 9th grade students have an opportunity to pursue a pathway in Public Service. Students will have hands-on personalized instruction in the skills needed to succeed in law enforcement, firefighting and emergency service. All students start with an overview of public safety and then focus on their area of interest. The program is designed to build a public service foundation in high school and prepare students to advance their skills through a partnership with CPCC and UNC Charlotte.
- Option of dual enrollment at CPCC (9th and 10th Grade)
- Hands-on medical field experience through job shadowing and internships (11th and 12th Grade)
- Conferences and Symposiums offered through local universities (e.g. Annual Brody School of Medicine Premedical Conference)
- Small class sizes ( 8:1 ) with a career-focused education
- 1:1 technology ratio
- Highest graduation rate increase in CMS
- Advanced Placement (AP) certified teachers
- Provide additional learning opportunities during the school day
- Health Science Fair/College and Career Fair
- Virtual Public School course offerings
- National Board Certified Teachers