LATE-ENTRY ASSESSMENTS ARE OPEN FOR SCHEDULING! READ THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE SCHEDULING YOUR APPOINTMENT!
The overall goal of the World Languages & Dual Language/Immersion programs is to promote high academic achievement in literacy and proficiency in two languages while enhancing the level of cultural awareness among students. “Late Entry” means that a student is entering a specialized program at a grade other than the normal entry grade of kindergarten. This applies to students who will be entering 1st grade and higher in the 2020-2021 school year. Our dual language/immersion programs are not designed for students who have not had exposure to the target language. Students in these programs should already be familiar with the language.
There are six schools in CMS that offer this opportunity:
- Charlotte East Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1, 2, and 3
- Collinswood Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 2 through 8
- Oaklawn Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1 through 8
- Starmount Academy of Excellence (Spanish) – grades 1, 2 and 3
- Huntingtowne Farms Elementary School (Spanish) – grades 1, 2 and 3
- E.E. Waddell Language Academy (Chinese, Japanese, German, French) – grades 1 through 8
This is a 3-step process. Students who wish to be considered for placement must:
- Be enrolled as a student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for the 2020-2021 year.
- Submit an online Request for Transfer for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Meet proficiency on the late-entry assessment. The assessment will only determine eligibility for a dual language/immersion program. It does not guarantee placement. Placement depends on whether there is space available in the program.
We have two testing locations:
- Charlotte East Language Academy – 6108 Wilora Lake Road, Charlotte, NC 28212
- Starmount Academy of Excellence – 1600 Brookdale Ave, Charlotte, NC 28210
Do you want to help your child prepare for the assessment?
- Make sure your child eats and rests before testing. Also, let them know that you will not be with them in the testing room.
- See the rubric that is used to score late-entry assessments here: https://avantassessment.com/stamp4se/benchmarks-rubric-guide.
- You can also see sample tests for the 4SE assessments we will use: https://avantassessment.com/sample-tests.
SIGN UP FOR AN APPOINTMENT USING ONE OF THE LINKS BELOW!
Late-Entry Assessment Sign-Up for Spanish Immersion Programs: http://bit.ly/lateentryspanishprograms
Late-Entry Assessment Sign-Up for Spanish Immersion Programs (en español): http://bit.ly/lateentryspanishprogramsenespanol
Late-Entry Assessment Sign-Up for Waddell’s Immersion Programs: http://bit.ly/lateentrywaddellprograms
Late-Entry Assessment Sign-Up for Waddell’s Immersion Programs (en español): http://bit.ly/lateentrywaddellprogramsenespanol