Charlotte Mecklenburg Virtual School currently provides virtual learning for students in grades 5-12. This schools is separate from in-person learning at neighborhood and other magnet schools. Full-time students take 100% of their classes online and from the convenience of home or other location. Students may participate in co-curricular activities and sports at their home school (transportation not provided).
CMS Virtual School:
- Provides students with access to all fundamental courses and a wide range of elective courses, including middle and high school honors courses and high school AP courses.
- Supports each student according to their individual learning needs, including students with an Individualized Education Plan, English language learners, and gifted students.
- Supports the social, emotional, and physical health and well-being of all students.
- Creates opportunities to develop community among students, teachers, and staff.
Virtual School & Transportation Zones
Registering for the virtual school
Families may choose the virtual schools via the CMS Choice Lottery for grades 6-12. Families of interested students in grades 9-12 must also complete a transcript review by the Principal.
Below is the process for families who miss the CMS School Choice Lottery.
- If you are a current CMS student:
- Step 1: Complete the transfer/reassignment request form online by clicking on the green button below.
- Step 2: For 9th-12th grade students, the Virtual School Principal will obtain your academic transcript from PowerSchool. You can read more about the requirements for entering the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Virtual School here.
- Step 3: The Student Placement Office will send you a letter with the results of your transfer/reassignment request. Please note that the transfer/reassignment will not be approved unless your transcript meets the requirements. Review the Magnet Expectations Agreement for information on requirements.
- If you are not a current CMS student:
- Step 1: Register in CMS through the Student Placement Office (as a future student for the upcoming school year) or at your neighborhood high school (during the current school year).
- Step 2: Once registered (and after receiving a Student ID and PIN), complete the transfer/reassignment request form online by clicking on the green button below.
- Step 3: For 9th-12th grade students, bring an official academic transcript to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Virtual School for review. You can read more about the requirements for entering the Charlotte Mecklenburg Virtual School here.
- Step 4: The Student Placement Office will send you a letter with the results of your transfer/reassignment request. Please note that the transfer/reassignment will not be approved unless your transcript meets the requirements. Review the Magnet Expectations Agreement for information on requirements.
Magnet Expectations Agreement
Charlotte Mecklenburg Virtual School (Grades 5-12) Expectations Agreement (revised 8/1/2023): English version
Learners who thrive in virtual learning…
- They are capable of facing independent learning
- They enjoy a personalized learning experience
- They like challenges
- They want an individualized schedule
- They care about their personal success
- They are natural leaders
- They desire small learning environments with more personalized and individual attention from teachers