The focus of the Visual and Performing Arts program is to develop a student’s talents and passion for the arts. Students receive specialized studies in dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts. As an integral part of a strong academic program, the Arts are approached through Arts education, integration and exposure.
At the elementary level, the Arts are used as a catalyst for building a collaborative, creative, Arts-infused culture and community. Students receive weekly classes in each of the four arts disciplines, as well as Arts integrated instruction in their grade-based classroom.
Students continuing to the middle and high school program will receive seven consecutive years of rigorous, intensive instruction in the visual and performing arts at a pre-professional level. The program provides flexible, skill-based groupings in the visual and performing arts to address the needs of individual students.
*Athletic programs and marching band are not offered on Visual & Performing Arts school sites. Students may participate in these activities at their home school (transportation is not provided).
Visual & Performing Arts Schools
(1) Long Creek Elementary serves the Violet Zone and the Blue portion of the West Mecklenburg High feeder pattern.
- Students in kindergarten through 5th can apply through the School Choice Lottery. There are no entry requirements.
- There are currently no entry requirements for 6th-8th grade students entering Crestdale Middle School. Students can apply through the School Choice Lottery.
- A School Choice Lottery application and a successful audition are required for entry to Northwest School of the Arts. Click here to schedule an audition.
Our Elementary Magnets are A+ Schools
A+ Schools of North Carolina is the largest, longest running, most successful arts-based whole-school reform effort in the nation. Since 1995, A+ Schools has been using the arts as a catalyst for creating connections and making school engaging, meaningful and enjoyable places to teach and learn. In this video, learn more about A+ and how it transforms teaching and learning.
Magnet Expectations Agreements
Elementary Schools – Visual and Performing Arts Expectations Agreement (revised 8/8/2023): English version
Crestdale Middle School – Visual and Performing Arts Expectations Agreement (revised 6/22/2023): English version
Northwest School of the Arts – Visual and Performing Arts Expectations Agreement (revised 7/11/2023): English version
Students Who Thrive in Visual and Performing Arts…
- Are creative thinkers
- Enjoy instruction in dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts
- Welcome opportunities to participate in performances
- Learn from visiting artists and guest speakers
- Are visual and hands-on learners
- Thrive in special instructional opportunities, like photography, band, orchestra, and piano
Northwest School of the Arts Flip-Books
Click the image below to flip through the brochure and learn about NWSA!