The focus of the Visual and Performing Arts program is to develop a student’s talents and passion for the arts. Students receive specialized studies in dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts. As an integral part of a strong academic program, the Arts are approached through Arts education, integration and exposure.
At the elementary level, the Arts are used as a catalyst for building a collaborative, creative, Arts-infused culture and community. Students receive weekly classes in each of the four arts disciplines, as well as Arts integrated instruction in their grade-based classroom.
Students continuing to the middle and high school program will receive seven consecutive years of rigorous, intensive instruction in the visual and performing arts at a pre-professional level. The program provides flexible, skill-based groupings in the visual and performing arts to address the needs of individual students.
- Students receive instruction in dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts
- Performance opportunities available at all levels
- Visiting artists and guest speakers
- Full time band and orchestra classes (K-5)
- Photography lab and instruction (9-12)
- Full time piano instruction (6-12)
- Collaboration with business and community organizations to provide resources and give insight to the skills students need to become successful adults
*Athletic programs and marching band are not offered on Visual & Performing Arts school sites. Students may participate in these activities at their home school (transportation is not provided).
A successful audition is required for entry to Northwest School of the Arts in addition to submitting a lottery application. Click here to schedule an audition.