Oaklawn Language Academy offers a two-way immersion magnet program in which students from different language backgrounds receive academic instruction in two target languages with native English and Spanish speakers.
Benefits of a Dual Language Program
- Develop strong thinking skills, improve listening, memory and logic and enhance mental flexibility and creativity.
- Cultivate a greater understanding, appreciation, and respect for other languages and cultures.
- Increase reading comprehension and other language skills.
- Prepare students for the future with greater career opportunities.
Your child is a good candidate for the dual language program if he or she:
- Is developmentally on target in his or her native language.
- Expresses an interest in different people, places, and things.
- Wants to become fluent in Spanish and English.
- Family fully supports the learning of a second language.
Goals of the program
- Our goal at Oaklawn is to promote high academic achievement in all subjects and proficiency in both languages, while enhancing the levels of cultural awareness and sensitivity of our students.
- To develop capable scholars who respect and value others’ points of view, ethnic, national and cultural differences.
- To promote bilingualism, biliteracy, and multicultural proficiency through global and diverse learning.
Oaklawn Model for Spanish Immersion
Grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5: 50/50*
Grade 6, 7, 8: 50/50*