Transfer requests into our Dual Language/Immersion Programs for the 2022-2023 year submitted after September 9th, if approved, will be considered to start the 2nd Quarter of the current school year.
The overall goal of the World Languages & Dual Language/Immersion program is to promote high academic achievement in literacy and proficiency in two languages while enhancing the level of cultural awareness among students. “Late Entry” means that a student is entering a specialized program at a grade other than the normal entry grade of kindergarten. This applies to students who will be entering 1st grade and higher. Our dual language/immersion programs are not designed for students who have not had exposure to the target language. Students in these programs should already be familiar with the language.
Here are the magnet schools in CMS that offer this opportunity:
- Charlotte East Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Collinswood Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1 through 8
- Oaklawn Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1 through 8
- North Academy of World Languages (Chinese, German, French) – grades 1, 2
- South Academy of International Languages (Chinese, Japanese, German, French) – grades 1 through 8
This is a 3-step process. Students who wish to be considered for placement must:
- Be enrolled as a student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- Submit an online Request for Transfer or Reassignment. Families new to CMS have 10 days to submit the request after enrolling into the district. Requests made after September 9th, 2022 if approved will be considered to start the 2nd Quarter of the current school year.
- Students in grades 1-8 who are new to our dual language/immersion programs must meet proficiency on the late-entry assessment. The assessment will only determine eligibility for a dual language/immersion program. It does not guarantee placement. Placement depends on whether there is space available in the program.
At this time, the Sign-Up for Dual Language Programs is open for the 2nd Quarter. Late-Entry Testing for 2nd Quarter transfers date is Saturday, October 15th, 2022. Please Sign-Up for Testing below.
Do you want to help your child prepare for the assessment?
- Make sure your child eats and rests before testing. Also, let them know that you will not be with them in the testing room.
- See the rubric that is used to score late-entry assessments here: https://avantassessment.com/stamp4se/benchmarks-rubric-guide.
- You can also see sample tests for the 4SE assessments we will use: https://avantassessment.com/sample-tests.