Late-entry assessment appointments are now available. More options will be added soon!
The overall goal of the World Languages & Dual Language/Immersion program is to promote high academic achievement in literacy and proficiency in two languages while enhancing the level of cultural awareness among students. “Late Entry” means that a student is entering a specialized program at a grade other than the normal entry grade of kindergarten. This applies to students who will be entering 1st grade and higher. Our dual language/immersion programs are not designed for students who have not had exposure to the target language. Students in these programs should already be familiar with the language.
There are six schools in CMS that offer this opportunity:
- Charlotte East Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Collinswood Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1 through 8
- Oaklawn Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1 through 8
- Starmount Academy of Excellence (Spanish) – grades 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Huntingtowne Farms Elementary School (Spanish) – grades 1, 2, 3 and 4
- South Academy of International Languages (formerly E.E. Waddell Language Academy) (Chinese, Japanese, German, French) – grades 1 through 8
Please Note: The new North K-8 Language School will not participate in this process during this first year.
This is a 3-step process. Students who wish to be considered for placement must:
- Be enrolled as a student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- Submit an online Request for Transfer or Reassignment.
- Use one of the links below to sign-up. Students in grades 1-8 who are new to our dual language/immersion programs must meet proficiency on the late-entry assessment. The assessment will only determine eligibility for a dual language/immersion program. It does not guarantee placement. Placement depends on whether there is space available in the program.
Do you want to help your child prepare for the assessment?
- Make sure your child eats and rests before testing. Also, let them know that you will not be with them in the testing room.
- See the rubric that is used to score late-entry assessments here: https://avantassessment.com/stamp4se/benchmarks-rubric-guide.
- You can also see sample tests for the 4SE assessments we will use: https://avantassessment.com/sample-tests.