Transfer requests into our Dual Language/Immersion Programs
The overall goal of the World Languages & Dual Language/Immersion program is to promote high academic achievement in literacy and proficiency in two languages while enhancing the level of cultural awareness among students. “Late Entry” means that a student is entering a specialized program at a grade other than the normal entry grade of kindergarten. This applies to students who will be entering 1st grade and higher. Our dual language/immersion programs are not designed for students who have not had exposure to the target language. Students in these programs should already be familiar with the language.
Here are the magnet schools in CMS that offer the Late-Entry opportunity:
- Charlotte East Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1-6 (*7th Grade SY 2024-20025)
- Collinswood Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1-8
- Oaklawn Language Academy (Spanish) – grades 1-8
- North Academy of World Languages (Chinese, German, French) – grades 1-3 (*4th grade SY 2024-2025
- South Academy of International Languages (Chinese, Japanese, German, French) – grades 1-5 and 6-8
All Kindergarten students enter through the Magnet Lottery each year and testing is not necessary.
One-way programs can enter through the Magnet Lottery in 6th grade. (Chinese, Japanese, German, French)
Two-way programs can enter by participating in the Late-Entry process in 6th grade. (Spanish)
This is a 3-step process. Students who wish to be considered for placement must:
- Be registered as a student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- Submit an online Request for Transfer or Reassignment. Families new to CMS have 10 days to submit the request after registering into the district.
- Sign up to take the Late-Entry Assessment. (Sign Up using the link below)
Students in grades 1 – 8 who are new to our dual language/immersion programs must meet proficiency on the late-entry assessment. The assessment will only determine eligibility for a dual language/immersion program. It does not guarantee placement. Placement depends on whether there is space available in the program. Kindergarten students enter by participating in the CMS Magnet Lottery and do not need to complete a Late-Entry-Assessment.
Reassignment & Transfer Period for 2024-2025 school year dates:
Request for Reassignment Period for the district: February 1,2023-February 19, 2024.
*Students brand new or returning to the district after this date will have ten business days after registering to submit a request for reassignment for the 2024-2025 school year. An application does not guarantee approval. Request for Transfer period in order to receive an answer by the start of school: February 1, 2024-July 15, 2024
At this time, the Sign-Up for Dual Language and Immersion Programs Late-Entry Assessment is open for the current school year. There are no transfers for DLI during the last 4th Quarter of the current school year. Late-Entry Assessment for School Year 2024-2025 will start in March 2024-August 2024. Next Late-Entry Assessment dates:
The Late-Entry Assessment Team will contact you to set up a date.
For more details and to request the evaluation use the link below to register. Thank you
Do you want to help your child prepare for the assessment?
- Make sure your child eats and rests before testing. Also, let them know that you will not be with them in the testing room.
- See the rubric that is used to score late-entry assessments here: https://avantassessment.com/stamp4se/benchmarks-rubric-guide.
- You can also see sample tests for the 4SE assessments we will use: https://avantassessment.com/sample-tests.